Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Past vs. The Present


Ben and I were chatting online last night when he told me to go and take a look at his MySpace page. I went over to his page and saw that someone we went to high school with had posted an old picture of him. All of my memories of Ben pretty much involve the skinny Ben that I knew in high school. Yes, I've seen the heavier Ben, but even now, I don't see the weight, I just see the same Ben I always knew. Anyway, this started a discussion of how we see ourselves and comparing how we look and feel now vs. how we looked and felt when we were thinner.

Many of us have been heavy for more than a few years, and even if a little extra weight is new to you... Do you ever just close your eyes and remember what it felt like to be back in that skinny body? I'll admit, there are times when I forget that I'm heavy (I know, it's hard to believe when you weigh as much as I do), but then there are times when I just feel like I weigh a whole lot more than I do. Trying to remember what being thinner and having more energy felt like isn't all that hard for me since I got a taste of it again just a couple of years ago (I wasn't at my goal weight, but lets face it, after losing 110 pounds I felt pretty damn good). I close my eyes now and think back now to what it felt like. The energy I had was amazing! I not only felt better physically, but mentally I just felt like I had really accomplished something and I was proud of myself. I could do simple things without getting out of breath (like walking across a room or bending over to tie my shoes). I didn't moan and groan when someone asked me if I wanted to go for a walk (sometimes I'd go for a long walk and then turn around and go for a hike later that day). I participated in 10k's almost every weekend and always tried to beat my time from the 10k before. My knees, ankles and back didn't hurt, I wasn't tired all the time, I was happier and more outgoing. The list could go on and on. I know since I'm older and my body has changed, that I probably won't ever look like I did when I was 15 years old ever again. But that doesn't mean I can't at least get to my goal which is probably pretty close to what I weighed when I was 15 years old.

Now whenever I feel like I can't continue on, all I have to do is close my eyes and remember what it was like to be thin and know that eventually, I'll make it there again someday. You should give it a try sometime. Maybe it will help give you that little boost of motivation when you need it most. :)

This is Ben and I 18 years ago at a family reunion
(I couldn't really smile because I had pecan pie in my mouth)

Ben and I before a homecoming dance when we were 15 yrs old.

6 comments:

Every other obese guy out there probably said...

I'm speechless. LOL Is that a Huxtible sweater I got on? LOL Anyway, thanks for the great blog again Aimee. I don't really think about myself back then, but seeing those pictures does make me want to remember more. It's funny that we are both overweight now, and the proof is in the pie so to speak. You're eating it, and I look like I'm wanting it. Go figure. Ben

Aimee said...

LOL! Actually, I think you had already eaten your pie. Remember, I'm a slow eater and usually the last one done. LOL! As far as the sweater goes, I'm pretty sure you only wore it because your mom had you call to see what color my dress was and I said it was black and white. So I'm guessing that was the only black and white thing you had. But then again, you always had your own sense of style back then. LOL! Just kidding! Thanks for the laughs tonight, you were cracking me up! Good luck at your weigh in tomorrow. :)

Krissie said...

The pics were great! I feel like I know you two!
I don't have similar memories. I always felt fat (but happy). I wore 16s all through high school and college. What I wouldn't give to be that size today! I was thinner for about a year, but that time in my life was such a whirlwind, I don't remember a lot of how I felt physically. That time was around my wedding, back to grad school, just crazy times. I have a pair of 8 shorts that I wore once. Once. And I have a picture of me in them. It's my motivation pic. Once!!!
Thanks again for a great blog! Have a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Aimee, I think it is so true what you say. I have looked your website for years, and making your recipise is the only way I lose weight. To me it seems thats when you were doing great and losing and almost to goal. Why not work on making more cookbooks, we love them!! call a publishing company, get them published, they are far better than any out there! I am just saying I think you were at your best back then coming up with new ideas!! And I need you.

Aimee said...

Krissie,
I know what you mean. Even when I was skinny I thought I was fat. I've never been a super skinny person at all. I've always been considered overweight as far as I can remember. I look back at some pictures when I was like a size 16 (of course I then I thought I was fat, which I was, but what I wouldn't give to be a size 16 again right now). I'm pretty sure I wore a 16 in the beginning of high school, but I was probably more like a size 20 by the time I graduated. By the time I got to college, I just kept adding on the pounds every year from there.

Anonymous,
Thanks! Actually I'm working on two cookbooks right now. It seems to be a continuous process. :) I'm working on my 3rd book and I'm also trying to put together a "Community Favorites" cookbook. I'd love nothing more than to be on the shelves in major bookstores. I'm not real sure how to go about it, but I've been reading as much as I can on the internet and looking into it. :)

Askazombiehousewife said...

I have been there, I goaled and then piled all my weight back and then some. I think learning to be happy with myself helped a lot and helps me. It's hard not to stuff yourself when your sad even when you hit goal.