Saturday, April 7, 2007

Lose Weight AND Save Money


I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say they can't afford to lose weight. If you're overweight, how can you afford not to lose weight? I can understand if you're already penny pinching and barely able to pay your bills, but I've learned a lot of the time "can't afford it" means not willing to give something up that you'd rather spend the money on. It's true, healthy food does cost more at the grocery store, but if you stay home and cook that food instead of eating out 5 nights a week, you're going to actually save money in the long run. When you're trying to lose weight, you tend to eat smaller portions, so even if you indulge in a bag of Doritos, that bag of Doritos should last you a lot longer than it use to, which means fewer trips to the grocery store to stock up on more Doritos.

How much are you spending on a fattening latte at your favorite coffee joint? Have you ever sat down and figured up how much money you'd save in a year if you just removed a few unhealthy habits from your diet? What if you just had black coffee instead? Or better yet, you make your coffee at home and take it with you? How about these smoothies we think are so good for us? They're packed with calories too and I'm sure there are some great alternatives we can make at home for a much cheaper price. You'd save not only calories, but money. These high calorie treats that we indulge in while we're out running our daily errands are not only adding pounds to our hips, but they're depleting our wallets.

Obese people have higher weight-related medical expenses. Some of these health problems include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer. Not only will losing weight help you to have more energy and possibly avoid some of these diseases, but chances are, your health insurance premiums are going to be lower too. Not to mention, if you're taking medication for high blood pressure, cholesterol or diabetes, chances are your doctor may advise you to reduce the dosages as you lose weight and that will help to save you money too.

Give weight loss and good health a chance. What do you have to lose other than weight? You'll gain energy, self esteem, and a few extra bucks in your bank account, and last but not least... a few extra years to your life.

7 comments:

Every other obese guy out there probably said...

Hey Aimee. I wanted to be the first to say what a great blog that was. I don't know how many times in the past I have gone through my bank statement for financial reasons instead of weight related issues and tried to find where all my money went. Nine times out of ten it went to fast food or pizza joints or ATM for fast food or pizza joints. I totally agree with you too about the medications. I know people who spend so much money on prescriptions that would disappear if they lost weight. All those studies that say "Losing weight will help lower cholesterol, reverse heart disease, and lower high blood pressure," have one major thing in common. They're all freakin true. Great blog Aimee. Ben

Aimee said...

Thanks Ben! Glad you liked it. :)

Kimberly said...

Hi Aimee,
Firt, I would like to thank you for your courage and honesty. Also, you have a great website! I made the baked apple receipe yesterday and it was delicious! So much like how my Granny made it when I was growing up--thank you for posting it. As far as your blog entry today, I want to say that it's amazing how much our society has really gotten away from cooking. Have a great Easter and good luck and thanks!

Aimee said...

Thanks Kimberly,
I'm glad you enjoyed the baked apple recipe. :) I agree, not a lot of people cook anymore. There just doesn't seem to be time because everyone works themselves to death to get the bills paid. It's like a crazy circle... We go out to eat because we're tired from work and didn't have time cook, so we work some more to be able to afford to go out to eat. LOL!

Mindy said...

I am as guilty of this as anyone. In fact, I was just asking my husband this morning why it's so hard for me to pay $3.50 for a package of V8 juice that I can drink on all week yet I could sling that much or more out of the window at a drive thru and not blink. I do pretty good at packing my lunch and eating at home but I do pass up on some healthy items at the grocery because they just seem 'so expensive' especially compared to the cheap junk my hubby eats. We all need to tell ourselves, we are worth it!

- 0 0 ) ) said...

I think when we change our eating habits. we don't realize that it will also change some of the other habits as well. Who would think twice about buying Chips O`hoy on sale, but not buy bagged lettuce for the same price?

Krissie said...

I've noticed that I really just spend about the same, regardless of how I eat. Yes, produce may be pricey, but when I spend about 75 cents for a homemade sandwich or salad for the day, it makes the price bite of produce acceptable. I too have been shocked by grocery bills, but then I remember that my fast food budget has gone to zero, and it makes it all better.
Keep up the great work! You make me think!!