Saturday, May 19, 2007

Lets Hit The Bars


I'm not doing a good job at keeping this daily blog up lately am I? I had planned on writing this yesterday, but I got to doing other things and then we went to my parents for dinner and cards. I was just too tired to get on the computer when I got back home. I was actually going to write this before we left for my parents, but I called my mom to double check if we'd be taking a walk after dinner or not. She said probably not, so I got Riley into the car and off we went to the park for our walk. That's a total of 3 miles, 3 days in a row now. I know, it doesn't seem like much, but it's about all I can do right now. It's a far cry from the 6-10 miles I was able to walk in 1 day just a couple of years ago. :( It's ok though, I'll get there again eventually. I just have to start out somewhere. I remember when I first started out walking back in 2001. I was actually in a little worse shape than I am now, so I know it does get better over time. I just have to keep at it. Just two more walks between now and Tuesday evening, and I'll have made my goal for the week of walking 5 times. :)

Ok, I'm supposed to talk about a few new bars I tried this week (by bars, I don't mean the type you go to drink at, these are the kind you eat). LOL! I'm even going to tell you about the flavors I didn't really like. :)

Ok, the first 4 bars are all made by Kellogg's and they're called Special K cereal bars. I'm sure most of you have either heard of them or even tried them by now. I had only had 1 flavor before and it's been quite some time. Each bar is 90 calories and 2 points. The texture is almost like a rice crispy treat, but not as gooey.

My least favorite two were the "peaches and berries" and the "chocolatey drizzle". How can I not like something called "chocolatey drizzle" you ask? Well because the "chocolatey" part just wasn't very "chocolatey" to me. It tasted like a fake chocolate. In fact, the first bite I took I actually said "eeeww". It was that bad. LOL! Rick tried it and said it was ok but not that good. His exact words were "when they say drizzle, that's all they mean". LOL! I should probably also tell you that Rick likes just about anything. LOL! The "peaches and berries" bar was a little better, but I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I thought the combination of peaches and berries was a little weird for a cereal bar. It was sweet, but just not a favorite. Rick ate one and he said he liked it, so maybe it's just me, or again, he likes a lot of different things. :)



The next two bars were "strawberry" and "vanilla crisp". These two were my favorites. They were both sweet and tasted like what I thought they would. The strawberry was probably a little sweeter than the vanilla. Honestly, I doubt I'd really eat any of these bars for breakfast (even though they're called cereal bars). They aren't really filling and they're too sweet. The fiber content is either 1 gram or less than 1 gram for each of them too, so they aren't going to fill you up by any means. I would recommend them though as a snack or even a dessert. For 2 points, they're pretty good if you're craving something sweet though. :)



These next two bars were my absolute favorites out of the 6 bars I tried. They're also made by Kellogg's. They're called "crunchy nut sweet & salty granola bars". One is "chocolatey peanut" and the other is called "chocolatey almond". They're 3 points each, but I thought they were much denser than the cereal bars. They're kind of like the cereal bars, but the tops have nuts on top and the bottoms have been dipped in chocolate. This time "chocolatey" actually tastes like chocolate unlike the other bar. The "chocolatey peanut" bar is both sweet and salty just like it says. It only has 1 gram of fiber, but it also has 5 grams of protein (where the cereal bars above only have 1 gram of protein). The "chocolatey almond" bar is also both sweet and salty, but it has 2 grams of fiber. It also has 5 grams of protein. I would be more likely to spend an extra point on these bars over the cereal bars. I just felt like they were more filling and the taste was far superior. If I had to choose between the peanut or the almond bar, I'd probably choose the almond. I just prefer almonds over peanuts, so that's just me. Not only that, but peanuts are a little softer than almonds, so I like the harder crunch. :)



Well, I could probably sit here and talk about a few more bars that I've tried and liked, but I'll save that for another blog. I've got some cleaning to do today as well as laundry, so I'm off to take care of that. TTYL!

5 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...

It would take two or three of those bars to make breakfast for me.
We all get busy but I am like you I like to post regularly. I might have to get some people posters over the summer.
I will get way busy over the summer. I have family, a vacation, doctor appointments, a book I am working on.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing those bar reviews Aimee!! those sweet & salty ones sound really good..have to give them a try :)

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Fiber One bars?? They are fairly new and so yummy! They have 9 grams of fiber and taste like a candy bar. The chocolate one is my favorite for 2 points and the peanut butter one is good for 3 points.

Aimee said...

Anonymous,
Yes, I'll be blogging about those in my next set of "Bar" reviews. :) I agree, very tasty indeed!

Julie said...

Aimee,

3 miles is a fantastic accomplishment! I think that you should give yourself more credit my friend. I know that it is always easier to compare to what we did before, instead of acknowledging the improvement we have made over allowing ourselves to be lazy and do nothing.

Good for you!

I wonder, is it ok, if I add you as a link to my blog?

Thanks,
Julie