Thursday, July 19, 2007

What I'm Doing


I was asked earlier today about what I was doing to lose weight since my weight loss has accelerated over the past couple of weeks. I figured instead of just answering in the comments, I'd make it an actual post since I'm sure more than 1 person is curious. :)

Well, for starters, I don't take any enhancers (I don't believe in popping pills and such just to lose weight, not to mention, I hate taking any pills, even aspirin. A multi vitamin is hard enough for me to get down). The only thing I've done differently is I've stopped eating all the junk and unhealthy stuff I was eating before. I switched from Flex to Core, then I modified the Core program just a little bit. I cut out all of the stuff I can't handle when it comes to portions... bread, potatoes, sweets (I still eat Jello because I'm not a huge fan, therefore I won't eat more than 1 serving), no more chips, etc. I've also stopped going out to eat. Every meal is prepared by me now, and I make sure I eat 3 meals a day (before I would skip breakfast most of the time). I don't use any of the 35 extra flex points I get unless it's just 1 or 2 here or there (like for my laughing cow cheese on my egg beaters omelet for breakfast). I refuse to use my flex points on junk, even though I know we can use them any way we'd like. It just defeats the purpose of eating healthier to me.

When I was on Flex, counting points gave me an excuse to eat unhealthy food "Just because I had the points". I was spending a minimum of half my points each day on junk food. I was also cheating and going over my daily points target at least once a week. I just wasn't very serious about losing weight.

One day, I found fitday.com and inserted a few of my daily food journals into it just to see how my food broke down. Imagine my surprise when the pie chart showed me that the majority of my day was carbs (and I had very little protein). I knew exactly where all of those carbs were coming from too. Bread, pizza, sweets, especially ice cream, etc. It was a real eye opener for me. No wonder I was tired ALL the time! I just never made the connection until that moment. Something just kind of switched in me and I decided I was tired of screwing around. I was ready to get serious and get this weight off.

I sat down that night and read up on Core. I honestly never wanted to do Core because it just looked "too healthy" for me. LOL! I know, kinda dumb thinking there huh? I went out to my kitchen, threw away any and all junk food. Made myself a list and hit the grocery store (yep, I was grocery shopping at midnight because I was determined to start that very next day. I was afraid if I didn't start then, I might talk myself out of it). I did start that next day, and I've been going strong ever since. I haven't cheated once. :)

Since I cut out all of the junk, I'm now eating more protein. I make sure I have some kind of protein at each meal. And, since I'm not snacking on junk such as bars, ice cream cones from McDonald's, etc., I now have room for things like apples, yogurt, and healthier things (many of you know I'm not a fan of fruits and veggies, but I'm really trying to add more when I can). Here's an example of one of my menus from my journal last week:

Breakfast
(I pretty much eat the same thing for breakfast each day)
Egg beaters with onions and peppers made into an omelet with laughing cow cheese in the middle. I'll either add a tablespoon of bacon bits to my omelet, or I'll have a serving of canadian bacon on the side.

Snack
1 piece of Light String Cheese (I only do this like once or twice a week) It just depends on what time I ate breakfast. It holds me over until lunch.

Lunch
1 grilled chicken breast cut up over a huge salad with a sprinkle of cheese, sometimes bacon bits, black pepper, chives, and light ranch dressing.

Snack
Apple sliced and dipped in fat free vanilla yogurt

Dinner
Chicken Broccoli Roll (see recipe below)
Green beans (I'm loving green beans right now)
Salad on the side

Snack
Sugar Free Jello

Since I've added more protein and better foods into my diet, I'm not nearly as hungry as I was before when I was junking myself up. I'm satisfied at each meal, I'm not constantly looking for something else to snack on, I have A LOT more energy, and as you've noticed I'm losing weight better than before. I don't expect the pounds to drip off of me like this forever. I know there will eventually be a slow down. I also won't go without bread and potatoes for the rest of my life, but for now, I'm learning to get my portion sizes in control and those things I'm not ready for yet. Eventually I will slowly start adding 1 slice of whole wheat bread into my daily food. Then eventually I'll slowly add a serving of potatoes once a week and go from there. I just know that I can't go hog wild when I do, or I'll start gaining again. Right now, I am in control and it's going to stay that way if I can help it. It's up to me.


Chicken Broccoli Roll

4 (4 oz.) Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 cup Cooked Finely Chopped Broccoli

4 Wedges Light Laughing Cow Cheese
Black Pepper
Other Seasoning of Your Choice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 baking dish with nonstick spray. For each chicken broccoli roll do the following: Place one chicken breast between plastic wrap and pound it out until it's thin, but don't rip holes in it. Mix 1 laughing cow cheese wedge with 1/8 cup broccoli and place it onto the chicken on the side closest to you. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bring in the sides of the chicken, then roll the chicken up starting with the side closest to you. Place into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top of each roll with any seasonings you like. I used thyme, rosemary, paprika, black pepper and a tiny bit of garlic powder. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the chicken is done.

Note: The picture is from the first time I made it. I didn't mix the broccoli and the cheese. Since then I've mixed them and it's better. I just need to take another picture. :)

Serves: 4
Per Serving: 172 Calories; 5g Fat (27.4% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 2g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 79mg Cholesterol; 323mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable. WWP: 4 (www.AimeesAdventures.com)

7 comments:

~Momma to Twin Girls~ said...

WOW thank you for this posts... I am doing EXACTLY what you WERE doing on Flex points :( I am going to have to give CORE a chance... Thank you again!

Jendeis said...

Aimee, I've found your blog so inspiring. I've been doing sort-of eating right and sort-of exercising for a while now. After reading some of your blog, I'm realizing that I am going to have to commit and do it. Thanks!

Aimee said...

Thank you! If Core is too much of a commitment right now, maybe just stick with Flex, but try and make better choices? Doing what I do is a bit strict, but strict is what I need right now because I get too laxed in my eating, and that leads to cheating (oh, I'm a poet and didn't even know it) LOL!!!!!

Remember, even though WW gives you two plans to choose from, you don't have to follow them exactly. Make them fit what you want. On Core, I can have bread and potatoes, but I just choose NOT to eat them right now. I doubt they'll kick me out of my meeting because I refuse to eat certain things they have printed in a book. :) Follow Core, but count the points if you're afraid you might not be able to follow your internal comfort meter. Or, follow the Flex plan and only use your extra Flex points if necessary or only on healthy things. Just make the programs work for you, that's all I'm really trying to say. LOL!

Thank you both. :)

Colette said...

Hi I found you via TWWW... and i love your post very helpful. the site fitday.com looks super cool too. Keep up all the hard work. You are doing GREAT!!

Colette said...

Thanks for the shout out! Oh I wanted to tell you that recipe for the chicken and broccoli looks devine!! I will definately be trying that. Have a great OP day!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for answering my questions. Most helpful. You are an inspiration to all of us!
Patches

Anonymous said...

I tried the chicken recipe and both DH and I really liked it. A definite repeat!