Saturday, September 29, 2007

Apple Talk

It's apple season again. Are you confused by all of the different varieties to choose from? Are you wanting to try something new but you aren't sure which kind to try? Here are some helpful links that I've come across to help you make a decision...



Not only do apples taste good, but they're also good for you. Did you know apples can help lower blood cholesterol, improve bowel function, reduce risk of stroke, prostate cancer, type II diabetes and asthma? To get the full nutritional benefits associated with eating apples you should eat at least one fresh apple every day.

Apples are a delicious source of dietary fiber, and dietary fiber helps aid digestion and promotes weight loss. A medium apple contains about five grams of fiber, more than most cereals. Also, apples contain almost zero fat and cholesterol, so they are a delicious snack and dessert food that’s good for you.

Have you ever tried a honeycrisp apple? If you haven't, you really need to. It is sooo good! They seem to be a bit hard to find though (at least around here they are). From what I've heard, they aren't available for too long. They cost a bit more than other apples, but the taste and the crispness to them is worth it.


Here are some recipes I've made using apples (pictures are included with each recipe):


5 comments:

Teale said...

There ARE so many different kinds... I usually get whatever looks prettiest. LOL. Today I got some of the Gala Apples... the red/green "tie-dye" looking ones. :)

Askazombiehousewife said...

I love apples. They are a big crave food for me.
I only got one this week though instead of 3 to 10 pounds

pointing the weigh said...

MMMmmm I forget about apples.
I find that once I eat an apple I become hooked, maybe I should stock the fruit bowl up with APPLES again, much better choice than eating chocolate....ummmm except the choccy covered apples.....naughty.

There are so many delicous healthy low point recipes with using apples.
Thankyou for sharing your recipes.

Hugs x

Honi said...

yum I love apples.. I have already had 2 rusties today.. we picked them up at market in Springville Alabama that we like to visit from time to time.. I also like to make real oatmeal I make a about a pound of it durng the week then I add stuff to it.. I made a batch last night with brown sugar (splenda) and then this morning I chopped up some rusties and had some yummy oatmeal with it and a little milk to soften up the oatmeal a bit.. it was wonderful and stayed with me until lunch time. One more reason I love the fall.. great apples

Krissie said...

I LOVE apples! At my most motivated, I was eating 2 huge golden delicious apples a day! My fave is fuji, but for some strange reason, that type makes my teeth hurt.
Thanks for the recipes! I am so excited!!