Thursday, September 20, 2007

I've Got Good News

As some of you may (or may not) know, I decided to start looking for a job a couple of weeks ago. At first I was just going to look for a part time job to help supplement my current income, but the more I got to thinking about it, the more I decided I really should get something full time that offers benefits. Being self employed, I haven't had health insurance for quite some time due to the cost. I'm not getting any younger and you just never know when something might happen. I had bronchitis for the first time in my life this past February. I kept putting it off hoping it would go away on it's own until one morning I woke up and was coughing so bad I couldn't catch a breath. That trip for some generic meds wasn't too bad, but it was still over $100. Then I made a trip to the doctor to have a yearly test done back in May and that bill arrived not too long ago.... $600. I probably wasn't even there 30 minutes! The lab tests are a killer! It kind of put things into perspective for me. Not only that, but with being self employed, the money I make varies and there are some months where it just gets down right scary between bills and the cost of keeping the site up and running. I've dwindled my savings down to nearly nothing over the summer to stay afloat, and I don't like the feeling of not knowing if I'll be able to pay my bills, so I decided it was time for a change. I started to look for something that was not only stable with a weekly paycheck, but something I could also get some benefits with.

I submitted my resume online at Monster on September 3rd. I've gotten probably 6-7 call backs from that so far, but they were all for sales jobs. I'm not someone who can call people and shove stuff down their throat all day, especially if I don't believe in it, so I turned them down. I also applied at the hospital the day after I posted my resume on Monster.com. I never really imagined myself working in a hospital, but I figure it's a job I could feel like I was helping people. That's important to me. I got called for an interview the following day, went to that interview last Tuesday, then got called back for a 2nd interview a week later. The good news is.... I went for my 2nd interview today at the hospital and 2 hours later, they called and said I got the job I applied for. I was really nervous at my first interview since I haven't been to an interview in over 10 years (not only that, but working at home by yourself for several years kind of messes up your social skills a little bit), but I just decided to be myself and tell the truth to whatever they asked me. Anyway, I'll be working Monday thru Friday, 3-11:30 PM. The coolest thing is, this hospital just built a brand new hospital that will be opening in December, so I'll get to work there.

Next Wednesday I go to fill out all of my paperwork, prove I'm not from Mars, and get a physical (along with shots I'll need for working in a hospital). I've never worked in a hospital before, but I think it will be fun. I've been watching the Discovery Health Channel lately to desensitize myself to certain things. I'm sure it's nothing like the real thing, but I'm sure in no time I'll be desensitized to just about everything once I have to deal with it once or twice. LOL! I have no doubt I can do this though. It's a step in the door to higher things.

I've been considering going back to college too. I've realized through all of this that the piece of paper really does matter when you're trying to get a better job. I'm not sure what I'm going to pursue just yet, but I figure I'll keep my eyes and ears open at the hospital and see what kinds of things look interesting, then I'll make my decision. Maybe I'll look into it for the Winter or Spring quarter. I spoke to the Human Resources woman today and she gave me a few things to think about. :)

Well, thanks for letting me share my good news with you guys!

12 comments:

lainb said...

That's fabulous & very exciting!!! Congratulations!!

And what a great schedule that will still allow for free time during your day to accomplish things (or sleep in!).

Teale said...

Congratulations! What will you be doing at the hospital though?

Aimee said...

Oops, sorry, guess I should have mentioned that part. I'll be in environmental services (i.e. cleaning up between surgeries, getting rooms ready after a patient leaves, etc). Whatever they need me to do, I'll be doing. :)

LouAnne said...

Good for you Aimee. Congrats on getiing out there and going for it.Benefits are HUGE!

Anonymous said...

Aimee,
Congrats!!! New jobs are scary and exciting at the same time!!! I work for a private dental practice and have some benefits, but have been tempted to work at the hospitals or clinic(Mayo Clinic)they offer great advancement and training and Mayo even has their own state of the art fitness center for employees only. Good luck and keep us posted..smiles Jan

Anonymous said...

we're soooooo proud of you aimee.

big e

pointing the weigh said...

Well done on getting the job!!

I'm sorry to read about your medical bills. Here in the UK folk complain loads about the NHS but they shouldn't because a lot of folk just don't realise how lucky they are being able to get medical treatment on the NHS because we don't pay, of course some folk go private.

I went to college 4 months before my 40th birthday and I'm now a qualified Beauty Therapist. I loved it and I wanted to go back but I couldn't afford to pay the child minding fee's and it annoyed me having to pay a childminder through school holiday's when my youngest son wasn't with the child minder but that's another story so I will leave it there and I will be back tomorrow.

Hugs to you x

Anonymous said...

woo hoo Aimee!!

a new chapter in your life :)

so proud of you!

badmonkey1 said...

Congrats Aimee!!!! I always did enjoy working the afternoon "swing" shift. Got to sleep late and nothing was crowded!

Chubby Chick said...

Congratulations on the good news! That is just great! :)

Askazombiehousewife said...

Congrats on your new job.

Mindy said...

Congrats and good luck!