Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's Been Awhile

Hello everyone! It's been awhile since my last post, but I can honestly say I've been busy. I wanted to stop in and get you up to date on my life these days.

I feel like all I do is work these days. My new job isn't enjoyable, but the health insurance keeps me going everyday (thankfully I had it when I landed in the ER the week after my birthday because the bill was over $1700 - I only had to pay $75). I've wanted to quit this job a few times already. It's not that the job is really hard (it's physical, but just about anyone could do it); the problem seems to be the lack of training and communication in the place, so naturally that just adds more stress. We're moving to a new hospital on December 9th, and I can understand that everyone is stressed with things to do to make that move, but I just really expected more. Most of what I know about my job has come from a small amount of training and from me asking LOTS of questions and not being afraid to speak up when I don't know how to do something. Luckily, the people who I work with in my department are nice and answer any questions I have (heck, most of them haven't been there much longer than I have).

I feel like I need a more mentally stimulating job. Some nights I just feel like a robot going from room to room cleaning. I have to do this for 6 months before I can try to move to a different position in the hospital. I'm just trying to get through it and put my time in so I can do just that. I've been looking into taking a medical terminology class lately. If I can find a class online and get through it, it should open some doors for me. I feel like I have skills that aren't being put to good use anymore. I'm not really saying I feel like I'm too good to scrub a toilet or anything, I just feel like I can achieve much higher things.

I got to talking to a woman last night while I was cleaning some windows and she was waiting on her ride. I asked her what she does in the hospital. She said she works as a processor in the lab, so I asked her if she had to go to school for that and she said no. Then I asked her if they were hiring (LOL). She said they are, but since she was hired 3 years ago, now you have to also be a Phlebotomist to do what she does (this way if they need extra help, you're trained to go do it). Maybe I'll take a look into that. All I know is... I can't keep doing what I'm doing. Not only is it killing my back and my ankles, but I feel like the job is giving me an attitude most days. I'm just hoping once we move to the new hospital, things will improve some. I'm tired all of the time (between working the new full time job and trying to keep up my business), and now I'm thinking about adding school on top of it all. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it, but I'm going to try. Hopefully the stress won't kill me. Although... they say what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger... I ought to be a really strong person when this is all over. LOL!

Well, that's pretty much what I've been up to. I can't guarantee when I'll have time to get back here and post another blog, but I'll try to get back here soon. I miss all of you and think of you often!

18 comments:

Askazombiehousewife said...

I hope that things ease up when you go to the new hospital.
That way you will have more time to take classes.

Askazombiehousewife said...

PS good luck

Anonymous said...

I miss you too Aimee! Oh wait... I just saw you.... nevermind.

Honi said...

much luck to u.. remember.. this journey has a purpose.. just keep your thoughts on that purpose and goal.. and u will achieve what you want...

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you that I found your blog a while back and have been reading!

Unknown said...

The "new hospital" sounds very familiar! By any chance is it Middletown Regional? I'm from Dayton, and my sister lives in Carlisle. I have a friend that just started at MRH and will be moving to the new hospital on December 9! She's a phlebotomist. Good luck to you at the new hospital!

Aimee said...

Hi Natalie,
Yep, I'm at Middletown Regional. I'll be moving to Atrium Medical Center on December 9th along with everyone else who is going that day. :)

Anonymous said...

You made a good choice to get in to the hospital to get the benefits. You will surely move up! I myself started as a secretary eventhough I had a Bachelor's degree. It turned out to have been a very good strategy for I now have a good job in which I can use my degree now. In fact I train many housekeepers and those that work in the cafeteria so they can get different job skills.

The jobs you listed such as phlebotomist to work in the lab, and medical transcriptionists generally have a lot of openings. If you can stand blood you can look into becoming a nurse. You will be quaranteed a job anywhere because of the huge shortage that we have.

Shain

Anonymous said...

I, too, work in the hospital. Started out in Admitting. I am now a Unit Clerk in the ER, as well as cross-trained to be a Tech. I took the CNA class in January and the ER cross-trained me to be a Tech. Now, my opportunities in the hospital are widened as I can assist in almost any area. Keep your options open! You can do anything you set your mind to and I wish you luck! Remember to take it "one day at a time!"

Anonymous said...

I hope things slow down a bit for you once you move to the new hospital in December.

Feels like we have some catching up to do :)

- 0 0 ) ) said...

Kicks the big ole message/forum board monster...........I am so losssssssssssssssssssst without it.

Am i the only one who is walking around with a dazed look on my face, going through OP-what are you eating-exercise log-withdrawal??


Waaaaaaaaa! bring it back

Lorraine said...

Whats going on Aimee..

Krissie said...

I miss you!!

Anonymous said...

Aimee, I know exactly how you feel. I often feel I hope there is better out there for me too. Just keep plugging along and hopefully things will get better or another opportunity will present itself.

Krissie said...

I miss you!
How was your Christmas?

Anonymous said...

Aimee, I miss you!! How's that Spades game of yours coming along??

Singing FatLady said...

That is so funny thats how you found me! I found him from your blog :)

Anonymous said...

Aimee... I ran across your page. You can do it. Hard to tell where you are at now (Sept 2008) You did so well in 2003... I hope that you stick to it, find a way to juggle the hecticness that life brings to our days, and succeed :) You're still an inspiration to us out here... not sure if I'll say this how I mean it.. but hearing how you got off the program and gained it all back FAST and it taking a toll on you and your body..is motivation and inspiration for me to make sure I stay on the program stick to the life style change and make sure I'm always thinking before I pick a bad food choice.

Keep it up!!!!... Why are you such a workaholic? Are you still doing 2 full time jobs.. I skimmed the blogs since I just ran across your site tonight.